Thursday, June 18, 2009

operation reclamation

I had been on the bicycle market for some quite some time, encountering great difficulty in finding a frame that would complement my petite size and babysitter's budget. As I had almost completely resigned myself to the idea of devoting a month's pay to finally just buy one, I was blessed by the benevolent bicycle fairy in the form of an unclaimed cruiser in the cellar of a Fort Greene apartment building.  Although upon discovery it was thickly coated with a layer of gray dust, its potential as the perfect pink bicycle (the exact color I had been looking for) was easily recognizable.

And so, after being absolutely certain that its owner was no longer a tenant, we set to work.  The first thing was to bring it to the local bike shop to see just what needed fixing. I don't know much about how bicycles work, but to have whatever needed tuning tuned it only cost $16. That same day, I took it for a test ride out and about Brooklyn. Aside from minor discomfort as the seat was a little too low for cozy cruising, it was a perfect fit.

Cleaning was the biggest task. Not only was it filthy, but there were stickers to be removed and dried plaster to be peeled. Three Swiffer cloths, countless paper towels, one ruined rag, and a chipped nail later, it was starting to look brand new. It was a mutual decision to retain the bike's "Operate Slowly" sticker, partly because removing it would leave a dark gray box where the pink paint used to be, and also because it's kind of cool.

Next was the adjusting; I needed some help with that. Gripping one screw in one wrench and the other haphazardly with another tool, Mr. Steven Matt, green guru and my assistant for the afternoon, successfully raised the seat to a snug sitting position for someone of my height. We also found that the handlebars could be adjusted, making the bicycle even more awesome.

One last quick dusting and voilĂ ! My brand new reclaimed bicycle was finished.

I understand that not everyone can be so fortunate as to find an adorable bicycle without an owner in a Brooklyn basement, so by way of One-Earth.com is a solution: Recycle-a-Bicycle.  Recycle-a-Bicycle is a retail shop specializing in reclaimed bicycles. While you're on One-Earth, you can read about other bicycle related transportation solutions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment