Wednesday, July 22, 2009

invest in some wellies. right now.

What to do with twin two-year-old tireless tots on a rainy summer afternoon in New York City? I thought the question over in my head, knowing full well the natural, obvious answer, but imagining in some sort of impossible fantasy that yesterday's drizzly downer weather would miraculously clear up before I stepped outside. No ands, ifs, or buts about it, I needed to take them to splash around. So, begrudgingly, at their mother's behest, I suited the boys from head to toe in their rain gear, slipped on my wellies, and headed out to search for puddles along Central Park West.  

The rain and I are not friends.  Despite how cute the kids looked in their dinosaur and pirate-themed outfits, I was not buying it. To top things off, I had left my umbrella back at 91st and Amsterdam. Two kids, two hands, it just wouldn't have worked. As we slowly made our way up the avenues towards Central Park, no puddle was left unnoticed from the small pools collecting in the cracks between the sidewalks to the mini-lakes (no kidding).  After a few minutes of observing them as they played, I forgot about my hair frizzing and the chill I was beginning to feel from my damp clothes; they were happy like I had never seen them before. Pure, unadulterated joy. Then, all of a sudden, I, Caitlin O'Connell, the Scrooge of Stormy Weather, jumped in a puddle. First one, and then another. Then I had the boys follow me as we jumped together.  And, shockingly, I was happy too.

So I am advising everyone, if you don't already have them, to invest in a pair of wellies. It feels kind of like a secret to enjoy Central Park in such weather. Walking is a wonderful way to see the city when it rains, and the view is much better than you'd get from a taxi window.

[And despite what you may think, wellies can be green footwear! Check out Hunter brand for a stylish and practical pair that is made from 100% recycled material.]

No comments:

Post a Comment